Friday, February 8, 2013

With New Mexico's snow,

and the return of freezing temperatures to Ohio, I have finally made some notes about the Sled Dogs of Alaska. We were able to visit the National Park dogs at Denali last spring. I bought a children's book about the dogs which I found fascinating. The book lists what the mushers (sled drivers) load on their winter sled.
They must be prepared for all emergencies and the possibility of having to camp in the wild before they reach the prepared shelter cabins on the trails.
Here is what is loaded on the typical winter ranger's sled:
  • extra clothes
  • sleeping bag
  • small camping stove
  • axe
  • snowshoes
  • map
  • compass
  • fire starter
  • headlamps and extra batteries
  • a bucket for melting snow
  • first aid supplies for dogs and musher
  • food for dogs and musher
  • dog food bowls
  • booties for the dogs
  • tools and repair supplies for the sleds
  • extra ropes and harnesses
I am trying to find out the approximate weight of the sled the dog teams pull. I will keep you posted on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.