Sunday, February 3, 2013

121 and 123 in 2013

Psalm 121:1-2 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
 
Psalm 123:1-2 I lift up my eyes to you, to you who sit enthroned in heaven. Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, and as the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look to the Lord our God, until He has mercy and loving-kindness for us.
 
On a few occasions in my life I have had the opportunity to dine at a high end restaurant that specialized not only in gourmet foods, but top notch service, too. I do not mean the current humorous cartoon characters of waiters in long aprons with improbable facial expressions, but genuine professionals.
 
These gentlemen and ladies were truly there to present the food with a high degree of expertise, information and atmosphere, but also to tend to the diners' needs. I was embarrased the first time I was in that setting and a waiter swooped in to refill my water glass when it was barely one third finished!
 
The Word says we are to be like servants that look to the hand of their master, like the maid that watches her mistress for cues as to what she needs and wants. Are we that attentive to The Lord and Savior of our souls? Are we watching Him all day long and into the night for cues and signals about what He desires from us? Is there a sense of honor as we serve Him? Do we look to the mountains or hills, the high places, for His help along our way?
 
This time in Albuquerque has been a refreshment to me and a reminder to look up, above the mundane daily things that vie for my attention, what one author called "the tyranny of the urgent." When I set the pace of my life with eternity in mind, the carnal things fall away in importance and the immortal things begin to take dominace.
I will need to print a photo of the mountain to draw me back again and again to the importance of watching and listening for the Lord's cues. My life can have no greater value or significance than to serve Him and in some small way bring delight to His heart.
 
 

2 comments:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.