Sunday, February 24, 2013

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

I had to say good bye to a friend this week. He weighed 1.1 ounces and was a brilliant example of God's glorious creation. Bob was walking recently and found this friend, dead, alongside of the road. He was probably hit my a car. I call him my friend as we have been entertained and fascinated by the Eastern Bluebirds who live in our neighborhood. They have such brilliant hues and we have never lived around them before now!
 
Looking at photos on-line I am amazed! We have tried to photograph these neighbors repeatedly. Some of the on-line photos were stunning!!
But as Benjamin Franklin said, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." Well, my bird was dead, but I did get to see it up close for as long as I desired.
 
So if you are squeamish, you might not want to see my photos below. This bird was just SO beautiful, though it had been dead several days. I pinned it down on cardboard to hold it in position and to provide a neutral background for the photos. The lighting is just natural sun light.
 
 
 
 
The edges of the feathers were shaded in burnt orange. I never would have seen that on a live bird. I got the weight listed above from my iBird Pro App a ranger in Denali National Park told me about.
 
Now when I see a bluebird in the neighborhood, as I did just yesterday, I rejoice at the beauty and wonder of it's creation. I also rejoice at my husband's love in being willing to retrace his walk and retrieve the bird for me. He did not just tell me about it. He went to get it for me so I could have my own bird experience and share it with you!
 
Genesis 1:21-22
So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems
and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and
every winged bird according to its kind.
And God saw that it was good.
God blessed them and said,
“Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas,
and let the birds increase on the earth.”
 
 

2 comments:

  1. They are beautiful. We have bluebirds in the mountains, but not where we live.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what lesson I would read if I brought a whole turkey home..

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.