Monday, February 11, 2013

The LET Smorgasbord

I would have to call Psalm 107 the LET smorgasbord. Seven lets in just a few verses! Verses 1-2, 8-9, 15-16, 21-22, 31-32 say:
"Give thanks to The Lord, for He is good, His love endures forever. Let the redeemed of the Lord say this - those He redeemed from the hand of the foe. Let them give thanks to The Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men, for He breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron.
Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men.
Let them sacrifice thank offerings and tell of His works with songs of joy. Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men. Let them exalt Him in the assembly of the people and praise Him in the council of the elders."
In the Old Covenant there many kinds of offerings and sacrifices. In the New Covenant Jesus is the perfect offering and the sacrifice for our sins. There are very few references to any offerings we are to make as Christians. The offering and sacrifice most often referred to in Matthew through Revelation is defined in Hebrews 13:15 as a sacrifice of praise. This one theme runs throughout the Bible: gratitude, thankfulness, praise, all contribute to our well being and are pleasing to God our Father.
 
Gratitude can change us in an instant. If we let ourselves give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love, our emotions will follow our thoughts. Step back from your intense situations and pray to see God's hand at work. The Holy Spirit will begin to show you His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds. In order to see this way we must yield to Him our perspective, letting Him guide and direct our view. Sometimes my thank offering is made through tears and is truly an act of my will. It never ceases to amaze me how my emotions will FOLLOW. "Tell of His works with songs of joy," and soon the very atmosphere around you will change.
 
Forgive me for failing to love You. God, I want my life to be a veritable shopping mall of praises to You. Let me offer praise to You in every situation, regardless of how I feel. Show me the value of this sacrifice. You are a Father of unfailing love and wonderful deeds! I thank You and praise Your holy name. Amen.


 

2 comments:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.