Wednesday, February 13, 2013

MOST LIKELY TO HAVE ROCKS IN THE SINK

When I was growing up, I spent an enormous amount of time out of doors. The farmer's field with a little stream through the lower part of the hill was one of my favorite places. I found empty land snail shells there! I was ecstatic! I thought shells only came from the beach when Grandma Rush went to Florida. Truly that field was a magical place.
One of the best gifts I ever received was a Golden Book of Zoology. Then I discovered they printed ones about reptiles, weather, trees, insects, and even ROCKS! I would bring home rocks and wash them in the bathroom sink. Or if someone was in the bathroom I would move to the kitchen sink.
When I married and we began to travel I would collect an interesting rock from each place we went. Quartz and granite, marble and shale. I found one in the Smoky Mountain National Park area that I refer to as brains.

When the small stones begin to take over a desk or dish I simply put them outside as a garden border. All children, related or not, love to play there.
Shopping at two indigenous artist shops a few years back I bought a rock with and a key. One said courage and one said strength.
A few months ago I attended a retreat where they gave us stones with words on them. I was so disappointed when they asked for the stones back. I wanted to take mine home! Can you see where this is going?
Somehow on a craft site I saw a You Tube video of women engraving words on rocks with a special Dremel tool. I was hooked. It has taken me almost a year, but I finally bought one and have been using it. I refuse to show it to the Grandgirls simply because I DO NOT WANT TO SHARE!
I will admit that for Christmas I engraved a rock with each grandchild's first name.
So if you drop in at my house and find a rock in the sink (upstairs or down) do not be surprised! I have grown up with the reputation of being the one most likely to have rocks in the sink!
With my streak of bad happenings last summer I even wear safety glasses when I use it. I found if I sit on the front porch in the sun I can see better, but those glasses fog up quickly in the sun!
 
I just looked up at Starbucks and was startled by a woman at the other end of the store who is practicing with her Numchucks. Now there are 3 of them! Yikes! What a variety our world offers! I carve on rocks, they toss Numchucks.

2 comments:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.