Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Going a Little Deeper with Just Look

The same weekend last Autumn I had this experience at the lake. I believe it applies to each of us. It was a brightly sunny day at the lake. The shadows were sharp and defined.

I followed my ideas and fear until I was able to sit with them in the Lord's presence. Then I began to "Just look. Don't think." This was the result. I wrote it down after the time of contemplation in His presence. As it was happening, it just unfolded similar to Rohr's experience as he related it when he wrote: "The world, my own issues and hurts, all goals and desires gradually dissolved into proper perspective. God became obvious and everywhere."



Even if the worst should come to pass, I will have to live balanced without knowing details about the situation. So where - how - what technique to do that?

See the turkey vultures, geese and crows flying in the sunshine at the lake.

Turkey vultures circle in the updraft
Their shadows fall in spirals
over the maple and linden trees
over the cedars and the grass
over the out buildings and docks
Probably terrifying all small mammals
I see the birds and resultant shadows
They do not effect me.

If, when, the next crisis arises,
I must ask myself, "How does this effect me?"
If the crisis has no impact upon my life, then I must
approach it and remember
like the circling bird shadows,
spirals of darkness,
but not mine to own or invite in.

I wished I had taken a photo of those bird shadows on the land! Hopefully, my words painted the picture for you.

2 comments:

  1. How often we live in the shadows of pessimism and gloom...bring om the sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good reminder how important it is to live in the present.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.