Tuesday, April 3, 2012

God' Question


J. Michael Beck says in his book "Journeys with the Messiah" that in his dark abyss, "For whatever reason, God came for a visit as casually as a friend dropping by for a cup of coffee. "What now, Michael?" He asked. "Do you want to continue down your highway or would you want to give My plan a try?"

"I told God that I would bring the camera. He would have to come to Italy and make them Divine."

Looks as if they both did their part! Beck's book was so impressive I ordered a copy while we were at the Cookseys house, didn't even wait until I got home! Journeys with The Messiah is well worth your time. I ordered "The Parable Edition."
 https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTvGo5W9GLR1uoR9FiGWAoSL-DvSh7N1jHgUDZCUQOAa57ofWe

I was struck by this quote because it is almost word for word the same question the Lord asked me in 1976. I was angry at God over my mother's death. I was trying to never talk to Him again. When I came to the end of myself, trying to care for a toddler (my first child) and suffering from a back injury and deep grief, He came to me in my living room and said, "Okay, you've tried life your way. Would you like to try it Mine?"

Wow! To read J. Michael Beck's quote in his wonderful book of photos some 35 years later was stunning. I know the Lord of the Universe is very creative. He certainly got my attention by asking Beck basically the same question as He asked me.

Isaiah 55:8-11 (NRSV) says
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
10 For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there until they have watered the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
11 so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.

Yes, His ways and His thoughts are not mine. Yet, He is willing to teach me how to follow in His footsteps and think and act more like Him as I yield every aspect of my life to Him.
Do not hesitate in this holy season of Lent and Easter to give Him your full attention. He will definitely make it worth your time and energy!



2 comments:

  1. That's basically what I said when I gave my life to Christ - "I'm tired of trying it my way. I'm ready to try it your way."

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a long time ago in so many ways..we do best when we give up our way and just trust don't we.

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.