Monday, July 15, 2013

My Favorite Large Bird

Found this selection in Joy & Strength compiled by Mary Wilder Tileston. The Great Blue Heron is my favorite bird and frequently, almost daily flies over our house. If I don't see it at the house, then I spot it crossing over the Eastgate area or its way to the Little Miami RIver.
    "It was a beautiful sight to see the herons come home, rising into the golden sunlight above the hills I could not tell from whence, and sailing on the glorious arches of their wings, on and on - always alone, and each as he came down with outstretched neck and pendent leges ready to settle, taking one last sweep  down, then up, on to the summit of the tall Scotch fir, to take a survey of the realm, and as another approached, plunging into the thick heads of lower trees with a loud good-night to his neighbors, and to all the fair land and water round about him, and a Deo Gratis for all his day's happiness, pleasant unto the ear of his dear God, if not consciously addressed to Him. 
MY HEAVENLY FATHER CARETH FOR THEM, I AM OF MORE VALUE THAN MANY HERONS. 
Edward White Benson
 

2 comments:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.