Monday, April 16, 2012

Remembering on Retreat a Technique


While on retreat last weekend I was drawn again to a contemplative prayer lesson I worked with last autumn.
 
Richard Rohr quotes this line as his guide in learning contemplative prayer: 
"Don't think. Just look."
He says Father McNamara's definition of contemplation became transformative: 
"A loving look at the real." 
Rohr continues, The world, my own issues and hurts, all goals and desires gradually dissolved into proper perspective. God became obvious and everywhere."
It is a powerful thing if I will practice it. The first time I practiced I was in emotional distress. Just looking and not thinking brought answers and insight I had not contemplated. From journal:
"A gorgeous day at the Lake. The racket from boaters, water skiers and Sea Doos is like my life. Noise comes and goes.
Now, Lord, I want to quiet down after all the racket of stress. I long for the center down silence.
I choose to be still with You.
Boats pass. I do not have to look. Waves lap against the dock as the boats rock the surface.
I listen for You.
Days, even hours ago, I could not have sat in silence with You, Lord. 

The sparkling, shimmering water
takes boat after boat,
jet ski, skier, and fisherman.
It sparkles and glistens, the surface tension holding the line between 
atmosphere and wet.
Shimmer, glisten, splash.
It remains a lake.

And so, even though stress and trials come to me,
I remain with You,
Your child,
Your handmaiden.


1 comment:

  1. Quite an insight-and difficult to do in the midst of disturbing times.

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.