Thursday, February 16, 2012

Reflections on February 14, 2012

"The origin of St. Valentine, and how many St. Valentines there were, remains a mystery. " Catholic Online

So where were you on the 'Hallmark money making day'? Our first adventure outside of the house was to the lawyer's office, signing legal documents for Power of Attorney, Health Power of Attorney, and Living Wills together. Wow! what an eye opener! Forty two consecutive Valentine Days together and here we were doing starkly old people things! But then, we are getting older. And these are responsible things. We had most of those documents, but they were outdated and erroneous in the addresses, etc.

It was not disturbing to be doing this task. Just calming in a sense. When my Uncle died recently, his passing drove home to me the point that in my family of origin I am now part of the oldest generation. Yes, I have cousins on the other side of the family who are older than me, but for the most part I am now an 'elder.'

Been listening to Richard Rohr's Falling Upward. A very catholic book, yet universal in the ways he points out how we learn to live in the second half of life. By second half he means after the busy furor of establishing ourselves in finances, home making, business position, parenting, etc. How do we LIVE from the center of our beings toward eternal things? He mentions that some of us never do begin the second half of life. Some of us stay stuck in the first half. We need to know how to be elders! I know for a fact that I am beyond the first half. Rohr points out that there is no 'little soldier" inside to direct our path for this part of our lives. We have no road map for this part of the journey. Mind you, I am only on disc 3 of 5, but I know the Holy Spirit can and will guide me through the current part of the journey.

So while the check out boy at the grocery was lamenting that he strongly dislikes Valentine's Day and the Hallmark hoopla, I was able to assure him that St. Valentine would probably have had nothing to do with the holiday either. As I left his lane I assured him that God loves him BEST.

And I was at ease staring my day with legal end of life documents. I do want things to be easy on my loved ones when I die. And this was one small step towards easing what distress I can. I know that I will be missed and mourned whether Bob dies first or I die first.

Best of all, when I die, I will be with my Lord forever. That is Good News! Then I went on to training for being an Election Official at the Ohio Primary election. Now THAT was a room full of old people! I looked like rather a young'n for a minute there!
Rest in His love, whatever your age!

2 comments:

  1. Made the day make some sense..thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. A full and interesting day. Getting older is an adventure.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.