Friday, February 17, 2012

La Nina Winter?


This has been a dismal winter as far as snow and drama from the weather! Of course, I am VERY content to skip the ice storms we are so prone to, but last year was dramatic with lovely deep snows. Those snows made the spring flowers all the more glorious.

Just a little snow where the sun could not reach.


My daffodils began coming up several weeks ago. Even the hyacinths have popped out the tops of their leaves. I kept telling them, "Go back! Go back! Too soon!" But to no avail. As the sun stays with us longer each day and the temperatures rise well above the 'normal' or average for the season, the bulbs keep pushing up through the soil and leaf litter.

The first daffodil bloomed and before I could get out there to cut it we had snow and ice. I was able to bring it in a few days later. The stem was bent, but it sits in the window sill glowing now. Isn't it interesting that snow flakes have six points and so does the daffodil?

I cut two more this morning and took them to the homeless shelter. One had frost damage on the tips of the bloom, but I think it will open okay. One was bent to the ground. I just now saw a third flower bent down on the left side of the photo!

Spring is coming and the surprises abound! Maybe not as astounding is the past two years, but glorious none the less.

1 comment:

  1. No daffodils around here yet. It's still cold and breezy, but at least the sun's shining.

    Nice pictures.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.