Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Light of the World 1




 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness 
but will have the light of life." John 8:12
When I was young and first allowed to go to the library by myself I checked out a book written by a woman who was blind. The book told me of her everyday struggles and how she overcame them. To this day I wish I could remember the title. I'd love to go back and read it again as an adult! 

What an awful thing it would be to walk in darkness. Never knowing for certain what was where and which path was clear. My mother had a friend who was blind. I was fascinated by how she negotiated life and terrified of her all at the same time.
In this chapter of Connelly's book he challenges us to look at the discourse about Jesus claiming to be the Light of the World, John 8:12-30.

One reference Connelly does not use is one I have often been challenged to consider John 3: 19 regarding my own behaviors.  
"And this is the judgement, that light has come into the world, and 
people loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil." 

If we are serious about following Christ and serving Him in this dark world, we must be willing to let all of our deeds be seen by the Lord under the scrutiny of His light. The Holy Spirit can and will lead us and guide us in this sort of exercise. The goal is not self-flagellation or shame. The purpose is to see where flesh crops up and where the leading of Christ prevails. Unless we are willing to see ourselves in His Light we may deceive ourselves as to Who we are serving.  The Word says I am to love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul and mind. My flesh is to be crucified with Christ. Coming to His light begins the process of seeing myself as clearly as I am able.
Are you walking in darkness or residing in His Light? Who is directing your steps most of the time? Some people pay for exposure to tanning lights. Our Lord offers the light of life to us for free as we exchange our life for His. I know from experience that His ways are higher than mine and His thoughts are higher than my thoughts. 

Oh lead us clearly, Gentle Shepherd, I pray.








1 comment:

  1. Well said. The light of Christ has always been my favorite image.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.