Monday, February 27, 2012

The Glorious Weekend

I had no idea that Mount Saint Joseph was a location. I knew there was a college there and a convent in that area. When I was told that was were the retreat would be held I kept asking 'Where?" while thinking, on the convent grounds? or some place at the college? It turns out the convent has their own post office and thus their own ZIP CODE!! The retreatants slept in the building where I have made a few private retreats in the past. The retreat meetings were right next door in a very nice meeting room.

I spent Saturday morning through lunch on Sunday with a group of fabulous women! We ranged in age from early 20's to 65+. There were 4 leaders from the Ignatian Spirituality Project, 2 Co-dependent mothers, and 11 women with addiction problems...all in recovery, and all of us seeking a closer relationship with God as we understood Him.

These women provided in-depth, honest sharing from their hearts that when compared to the average church group would make our sharing look like a sham of openness. There was no hiding behind facades, excuses or tales. During my retreat time I read that those who 'share in levels of brokenness together perhaps form deeper bonds than at any other time in human experience'. Well, that mission was certainly accomplished!

Many of the women were blessed by the quiet, the sacred space of the grounds and the delight of seeing deer in their habitat, undisturbed and unafraid.







In an atmosphere of not judging, advising, or fixing, hearts were opened and shared and there was great humility and honor. We were all  seeking a closer walk with God and found ways in those few hours to "get there." We ..........were blessed by being in the sacred space of the Convent grounds.

Much to my surprise, I cried a couple times. I found deep gratitude towards my husband renewed and deepened. I received grace and peace to continue my own recovery as an Adult Child of an Alcoholic and as one prone to Co-Dependency. Strengthened in my resolve to pursue Christ in every way, I returned home to begin the next part of this great adventure. 

The 'exercises' and meditations were fruitful and powerful. In one exercise we were told to choose a small rock out of a bowl. I carefully selected one with a crack on one edge and a ragged place. Usually I would choose a smooth stone. I had chosen this one on purpose thinking we would get to keep the stone. I knew it would remind me that the broken, ragged places in my past did not have to hinder my growth into wholeness. The stone could remind me of my ability to overcome those obstacles through the strength and guidance of God. Imagine my surprise when we were told to place the stone in a glass with the others(YIKES! Give it BACK?)  and tell what we were willing to lay down and not take home with us. I named the stone "my resistance to wholeness."

If you have an opportunity to support this program or participate by driving participants to and from the retreat house, baking snacks for the coffee area,  providing cosmetics and 'goody bags', or just making a donation I can only say "DO IT!" The Lord uses this program in marvelous ways. It has been developed and fine tuned for ten years and in my estimation is a Winner!

https://www.facebook.com/IgnatianSpiritualityProject

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time in a great place.

    See you soon.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you took the time both to refresh yourself and to share your struggles. I am sure your presence made a difference to those around you..

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.