Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How Do You Sup?

Too often today we sup on the move. One factor for rising obesity is due to the fact that many of us eat unconsciously and therefore eat too much! How many times have you passed another vehicle on the road around a mealtime and the occupants are stuffing their mouths with burgers and fries and fried pies?
 
 
J. Brent Bill compares Quaker silence to the communion sacrament.
 
Now the Episcopal words said to those taking Eucharist in Rite 1 came to mind when I read that Quaker silence is comparable to the communion sacrament.
 
For the Bread: The Body of our Lord Jesus Christ, which was given for you,
preserve your body and soul unto everlasting life.
Take and eat this in remembrance that Christ died for you,
and feed on Him in your heart by faith and with thanksgiving.
 
Last year I read Flunking Sainthood. The first chapter addressed fasting. Now I have never been good at fasting in the past. When I asked The Lord what about me and fasting in 2012? His response was, "Your Type II Diabetes diet guidelines are your fast unto Me." In other words, I am to keep a fast towards Him the rest of my life by following the guidelines as closely as I can, not just for my health, but as a sacrifice to the Lord.
 
Living with the Cookseys I have taken their habit of eating breakfast, then a large meal for mid-day, a smaller portion of something in the evening. This would be imposssible to for us to accomplish at home as long as Bob is still working his many, many hours per week. But here, in the company of retirees, I made it work. I have had to remind myself about adequate fruit and vegetable servings, but it has been working for me.
 
Watching the mountain, pondering the Holy Silence and Flunking Sainthood books and my journey with Christ brought all of these things together for me in a way I could put into words. If I will take the time to feed upon Christ daily, through prayer and devotionals, meditation and contemplation, He more than fills my needs, especially the needs I have often tried to meet by overeating. Holy silence leads me to mindfulness in any activity I set out to do. If I will carry that holy silence into my everyday activities, pausing to remember Christ is at my right hand as Brother Lawrence practiced and Psalm 16:8 declares, I can feed on Him in my heart by faith and with thanksgiving continuously.
 
Here is my final photo of the mountain series. Sadly, on Tuesday the sun set before it was able to light up the snowy mountain top.
May your life today be transfigured into a comunion table with our Lord.
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. It wold be easier if you were not such a good culinary artist..there are still days off and weekends..

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.