Thursday, January 17, 2013

2013 Adventure

This is the book we are beginning in our small group. We had a smaller than usual group last night. The seven of us had a lively time! We started with the "Prayer for Aging" in the front of the book written by Sr. Moya Hanlen. My purpose in offering this particular book is to have an activity that appeals to person of our age. The "Last Third" refers to persons 60-90 years old. One of the authors is in her sixties; the other in his nineties. There are seven sections in the book with seven selections under each topic. I was thinking we could cover one section in two meetings. Oops! I forgot how much we humans like to talk about ourselves. We covered 1-1/2 sections. However, the sharing was lively and every single person spoke. This will be a good study. Next time I will try to get the focus on the Scripture for each section and the purpose put forth by the authors.
We began with "Gateway 2" Living with Limitations. I skipped Gateway 1 as we just did a study that had a huge focus on death. We all know at our age that death is inevitable.
Here are some of the verses from last night's study:
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me."
2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
And the best discussion questions were: If you are an older person, what are some of the limits aging has placed upon you? How do you deal with them?
What is your response to the prayer,"May you die young at a very old age?"
What relationship do you see between the contemplative life and the life of doing? Do the two approaches seem opposed, in competition, complementary? Explain.
I hope you enjoy reading this and following along with your own consideration of the questions.
I will keep you posted on our progress!

1 comment:

  1. It does help you focus your life when you realize you may have about 15 years left to live. That's me I'm talking about.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.