Sunday, January 27, 2013

Grandma Snapp

When I was a child we could sometimes get my Grandma Snapp to play our piano using the hymns she almost knew by heart. She would object to playing saying that her hands were not what they used to be and it was hard to stretch for the chords. When she would relent, precious memories were formed! To this day some of those hymns roll through my soul from time to time. Mom had taught us how to harmonize and we would stand behind Grandma and sing the lyrics and she went along.
The Old Rugged Cross was one of those hymns that she played. To me it looked as if she were crashing the chords out, but it sounded glorious. I had to view many, many You Tube videos to find this gem. The website is HiFiHymnBook. Wait through the pipe organ intro and the hymn is played on piano. I hope you enjoy it. If you do not know the words, I posted them below, too.
Old Rugged Cross

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,

the emblem of suffering and shame;

and I love that old cross where the dearest and best

for a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain:

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,

till my trophies at last I lay down;

I will cling to the old rugged cross,

and exchange it some day for a crown.

2. O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,

has a wondrous attraction for me;

for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above

to bear it to dark Calvary.

(Refrain)

3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,

a wondrous beauty I see,

for 'twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,

to pardon and sanctify me.

(Refrain)

4. To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,

its shame and reproach gladly bear;

then he'll call me some day to my home far away,

where his glory forever I'll share.

 

1 comment:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.