Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sun Rise in Corrales, New Mexico

Beige blinds transformed
into lemon curd
as blazing sun rises over
watermelon mountain.
Paint us, too, with Your light,
Father, arise in our hearts.


No, I cannot look into Your face, my Father,
any more than I can stare right at the
sun rising over Sandia Crest.
Yet, just as the mist graces the unlit portion of the mountain
I can stand in Your midst
by sheltering my eyes in the silencing of my soul.


Wash me with Your light, my Lord.
Come, Holy Spirit, ignite my soul.
Embrace me, Father, and lead me further
into Your Kingdom.


I once wrote that we can be as still
as New Mexico rock formations.
Psalm 91:4 declares "He will cover you with His feathers,
and under His wings you will find refuge;
His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
And, even so, this portrait in the rock calls me
to rest under His wings 
(see the bird wings over the woman)
and be still.

 
The wings of the Holy Spirit at La Ventana Arch in New Mexico.
(The face on the rock reminds me so much of the facial features of my mother! One day I will scan her photo with this one.)
 

2 comments:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.