Saturday, March 9, 2013

Sharp Stone Quarried from The Earth

The idea of being quarried from the earth was driven home by a recently situation I had to deal with. Something developed that I had not foreseen or expected. I fumed a few hours, made a phone call, began to obsess and then decided that would change nothing. I could continue to squirm and ponder, or I could ask the Holy Spirit to use this in shaping me. I saw myself clearly and like St. Seraphim said, I saw "such a swamp that nothing in another can equal it." Yesterday I quoted C.G.Gordon when he wrote "He must work us into shape, our part is to be still in His hands."
 
So I decided to "let the chips fall where they may." The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms told me that this originally referred to a wood cutter being aware of his work of cutting logs and not being concerned about the little chips of wood. It also means "to do something without worrying about the effects of your actions."
As I rested in letting my Lord be in charge of the situation I began to realize that letting it be as it was unfolding released me from a tremendous amount of pressure. Perhaps this was exactly how I was originally being called to participate! In fact, I believe this may have been what I had set before the Lord as a fleece in 2012.

With time the Holy Spirit will rub me smooth. Sometimes I get to choose the tool, Living Water or chisel.


Sometimes I do not get to choose the tool; however, if I can remember, as Charles George Gordon wrote, "that to be made like Him is the object of our earthly existence" maybe the shaping and the gritty dust of being shaped into the correct stone for the Temple will be an experience of less grumbling and more acceptance.

For a time we took a class based upon a book by Gary L. Thomas entitled

Now we are working our way slowly through the "Devotions for a Sacred Marriage" by the same author.
 
 
I have to wonder in all this pondering,
"What if God designed life to make us holy more than to make us happy?"
 

2 comments:

  1. I remember someone at St. Thomas say, "God is more interested in our holiness than our happiness." I've always remembered that and I believe it to be true.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the least, holiness will, by virtue of its nature, make us content.

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.