Monday, March 25, 2013

"Begin the Day with God"

I was taught this while in confirmation class at 15 and also while being discipled as an adult. In 1979 I told the Lord I would gladly give Him the first hour of the day if He would just help me to know when my day ended and when it began. I had a newborn who wanted to nurse every 3 hours around the clock and I was getting weary.
 
 
March 2 Streams in The Desert reads
Exodus 34:2-3
'Be ready in the morning, and come up ...
present yourself there to Me in the top of the mount.
And no man shall come up with you.'
 
"The morning watch is essential. You must not face the day until you have faced God, not look into the face of others until you have looked into His.
"You cannot expect to be victorious, if the day begins only in your own strength. Face the work of every day with the influence of a few thoughtful, quiet moments with your heart and God. Do not meet other people, even those of your own home, until you have first met the great Guest and honored Companion of your life - Jesus Christ.
"Meet Him, alone. Meet Him regularly. Meet Him with His open Book of counsel before you; and face the regular and the irregular duties of each day with the influence of His personality definitely controlling your every act."
So I do try to make this my practice, though some mornings it just doesn't happen.
 
March 2 Joy & Strength has a selection by Thomas Erskine. (I have updated the language only.)
 
"I believe that love reigns, and that love will prevail. I believe that He says to me every morning,
"Begin again your journey and your life; your sins, which are many, are not only forgiven,
but they shall be made, by the wisdom of God, the basis on which He will build blessings."
What? He will use even our sins as the basis on which He will build blessings?
How will He do this? Often, I only understand things about God in hind sight. But it truly an amazing concept to ponder. Think about your own past and the sins you committed. Are there ways that the rubble from the event has been used as a basis on which He builds blessings? I know that my gratitude for the sacrifice of Jesus on my behalf and forgiveness that comes from Him have build solid foundations for my faith and my future. Think that might be what the quotation means?
You might be wondering what response I heard from The Lord in 1979 about when my day began and ended? His response was very clear.
"I do not want the first hour of everyday. I want every hour of every day with you."
 
My life has been changing in the direction ever since.
 
And that time spent is mysteriously used, I might even say miraculously. Somehow when I spend more time with God alone, particularly in the morning, I have more time throughout the day. I am better organized and have more purpose and focus. Try this experiment for yourself. I think you will find I am no one special, just found one of those Kingdom keys that works!
 
Now if I could just get rid of the focus on skin and itching, etc. I might be able to get ON with my life!
 

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit my first 'hour' belongs to Sugar and Morgunn. But, I often praise God for the beauty of the sunrise that I'm privileged to see.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your morning discipline has been admirable, especially for one who has not always been an early riser...

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.