Saturday, May 12, 2012

LET Devotional #6 Bread of Life

As we seek the Lord of Life we can find ourselves easily drawn into looking at other people and listening to how they conduct their spirituality. Too often, we begin to compare ourselves to them and try to follow their words in place of listening for our own instructions from God. In the sixth chapter of John's gospel Jesus puts forth the teaching that He is the bread of life and He says, "It is Spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words I have spoken to you are Spirit and life. " John 6:63

The discussion with the Jews proceeded and many of His disciples "draw back and no longer went about with Him." Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also wish to go away?" Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life; and we have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God." John 6:67-69

In Paul's letter to the Colossians he instructs them to "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly" COL 3:16a. Part of our discipline must also involve allowing time to read the Word of God as we have it recorded in Scripture and listening for His personal words to us. His Words to us are Spirit and Life. What more could we want?

Lord Jesus, Bread of Life, open my ears to hear Your word of life for me today. Feed my hungry soul. I quiet my soul and spirit to listen to Your voice during every hour of this day, whatever activities it brings., Speak to me that I may know You as the Holy One of God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.