Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Let Devotional #4

Romans 6:9-13 "For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, He cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over Him. The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that so that you obey its evil desires. Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness."

We get to choose. The Word would not say 'do not let' if this choice was beyond our control. God has given you a body and it is your choice how it gets used in life. Most of us live unaware of this choice, but the Word makes it very clear. If we align ourselves with Christ we are to live for God. He sees the offering of our bodies as isntruments of righteousness, not as weak or broken or sinful flash bags. What a perspective change!

How do we see ourselves? When I look through our photo albums to see again the progression of our children from infant to adult, I am often struck by what a nice figure I had then. Yet, I was constantly telling myself how bad I looked. If I had been able to grasp this Kingdom perspective years ago, I might have learned to think of my body as an instrument of righteousness sooner. I could have enjoyed how I am built. Instead of gratitude I reaped negative criticism from myself for years. Paul says the way to overcome evil desires is 'do not let sin reign in your mortal body' and 'offer yourself to God' - all parts of your body (and any needed revisions in your attitude) - 'as instruments of righteousness.'

This is fairly radical instruction. How do you use your body, your time, your mind, the work of your hands? Who is reigning in you?

Help us, Father, to live our lives to You, counting ourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. Come and reign in our mortal bodies. Teach us to overcome sin. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.