Monday, May 7, 2012

Let Devotion #2

In John 14:27 Jesus gives us astounding Good News! He says, "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." Tow lets i none powerful verse!

Some may say that when the peace of God enters our hearts it makes our anxiety and fear to cease, but I think  we have much more responsibility than that. If I give my heart over to anxiety I can easily block that balm of peace my Lord offers to me.

If I constantly meditate upon my fears, peace eludes me. I am responsible for the state of my heart and the Lord won't force His gift of peace upon me if I choose less than the best He has to offer.

We have clear and precise instructions from Jesus that we are not to let certain things occur in our hearts. The very fact that He notes our heart's condition several times points out the potential for anxiety or peace to rule within us. I find no benefits in 'beating myself up' when fear or anxiety is resident in my heart. There is however, great benefit from examining my heart, finding those weakened areas, and giving them over to God. When I find such an area, I discipline myself to RUN into God's presence and not dwell on the "should have, would have, could haves." I give over to Him the things troubling me. He has promised us an incredible exchange system (see ISA 63:1).

Come Lord of Peace, teach how to quiet our hearts and abide with You. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. A mostly timely and appropriate post..work, travel, weakening bodies all can be troubling.

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.