Friday, May 24, 2013

Synchronicity or Just God Has Been Everywhere?

Wikipedia defines synchronicity as the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, yet are experienced as occurring together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described in this terminology by Carl Gustav Jung, a Swiss psychologist, in the 1920s.
The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by meaning. A grouping of events by meaning need not have an explanation in terms of cause and effect.
I have been reading a number of books during this long recovery (from what I still think is a reaction to that Prolia injection. And yes, it is still on-going. Shucks.) Natalie Goldberg has inspired me for years to be a better writer. I have begun reading her works again. I forgot how much she knows about approaching life with present moment thinking, meditation, and clear presence. Brother Lawrence has always informed my life since I first found his work in 1988 or so. His teaching paraphrased is to live each moment in the Presence of God. John O'Donohue wrote Anam Cara. I bought it after we toured Ireland in 2011.Someone on the tour suggested it to me. I have read about half of it. Then it landed in a drawer. I "just happened" to pull it out this week and realize I never finished it. From our travels in New Mexico my interested in Native American spirituality was enlivened. I have a Sweetgrass braid and sage stick that are like incense. I finally went down in the basement and got another book I never finished called Native Healing.
All of these sources teach about the same things! Taking deep breaths often. Finding the light within that God sends. There is a prayer called by various names: The Deer's Cry, Saint Patrick's Breastplate, and the Native American Beauty Way ceremony. You compare and tell me what you think!
I arise today
through the strength of heaven, light of sun,
Radiance of moon,
Splendor of fire, Speed of lightning
Swiftness of wind,
Depth of sea,
Stability of earth
Firmness of rock.           
 (Trans. Kuno Meyer)
St. Patrick’s Hymn
I arise today through a mighty strength,
the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
through confession of the Oneness
towards the Creator.

Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me.
Christ in me, Christ beneath me,
Christ above me.
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ where I lie, Christ where I sit,
Christ where I arise.
Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every person who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.
I arise today through a mighty strength,
the invocation of the Trinity…



And finally the Beauty Way ceremony:
Joyful I journey.
Joyful with life-bringing rain I journey.
Joyful with refreshing rain I journey.
Joyful with growing plants, I journey.
Joyful on the pollen trail I journey.
Joyful I journey.
As it was long ago I journey.
Let there be beauty before me.
Let there be beauty behind me.
Let there be beauty below me.
Let there be beauty all around me.
In beauty it is complete.
In beauty it is complete.

Another translation called the Navajo Night Chant goes:
In beauty (happily) I walk.
With beauty before me I walk.
With beauty behind me I walk.
With beauty below me I walk.
With beauty above me I walk.
With beauty all around me I walk.
It is finished (again) in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.

1 comment:

  1. I have read them all before, but never seen them together..When eyes are opened the same truths are seen from many perspectives.

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.