Wednesday, May 22, 2013

So Much For Compulsive Self-Reliance!

NKJV ISA 50:11 Look, all you who kindle a fire, Who encircle yourselves with sparks: Walk in the light of your fire and in the sparks you have kindled-- This you shall have from My hand: You shall lie down in torment.

Living Bible:  But see here, you who live in your own light and
 warm yourselves from your own fires and not from God’s; 
you will live among sorrows.

Here is a selection from Streams in the Desert, March 30th that brought me comfort.


"What a solemn warning to those who walk in darkness and yet who try to help themselves out into the light. They are represented as kindling a fire, and compassing themselves with sparks. What does that mean?

  "Why, it means that when we are in darkness the temptation is to find a way without trusting in the Lord and relying upon Him. Instead of letting Him help us out, we try to help ourselves out. We seek the light of nature, and get the advice of our friends. We try the conclusions of our reason, and might almost be tempted to accept a way of deliverance which would not be of God at all.

  All these are fires of our own kindling; rush-lights that will surely lead us onto the shoals. And God will let us walk in the light of those sparks, but the end will be sorrow."

Many of us have thought if God would just MAKE us do the things He wants we would cooperate. He knows better. I have even wished He would drop a stone tablet into the front yard with instructions on it (like the Ten Commandments,) then, surely I would obey.

Unfortunately, He will not make us obey. In fact, He wants loving, willing servants. He will let me run my life any which way I want and leave me to my own devices, all the while reminding me the end will be sorrow. So no, I cannot eat everything I want to eat or drink everything I want to drink. No, I cannot live as if I am fifteen or twenty years younger than I truly am. Always, I am accompanied by His Holy Spirit. Never am I MADE to love Him. 
Twila Paris nails it here!



1 comment:

  1. And sometimes situations make us make changes..to be a willing does depend on trust.

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.