Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Final Diagnosis

Monday, July 2nd arrived and Bob drove me to the Hand Surgeon. The Ct scan showed no "step-down" or misalignment in the wrist bones. Here is a drawing of the left hand. The two red lines are where the breaks are located. "A longitudinal split-type fracture of the distal radius that is multi-part fracture."
We were greatly relieved that the surgeon felt there was no need for surgery. He stated again that he considers this a serious break and I was to be very careful with it. He admonished me to lift nothing heavier than one piece of paper with my left hand. He said eventually I would be allowed to lift a coffee cup or one small book. I put into a short arm cast and to return in one week.

 I continued to use the sling to support my arm, hold two ice packs on it, and remind myself not to try to use it. My right hand was doing all of the work. By Sunday it began to ache constantly. By Monday morning I could barely use my right hand at all without pain.

I had been able to get myself down from lots of pain medication to 1/2 tablets every 6 hours. I returned to the surgeon the following Monday, July 9. He said the healing in the left was progressing nicely. He felt the best treatment for my right hand was an injection of cortisone to remove some of the inflammation and a support brace (to help me keep from overstretching it from thumb to pinky.) I hesitated knowing I would see the Rheumotologist soon regarding the overall arthritis situation. I also knew that cortisone works in the long term but can stir up pain in the short term. The doctor and Bob encouraged me to go ahead with the injection. Bob was off Monday and Tuesday and reassured me that he would be there to help take are of me.

So I did my LaMaze breathing while the doctor administered the injection in my thumb joint. I do not know how I would have endured all the cortisone injections I have had in my life without the pain removing effects of LaMaze breathing! I was able to hold perfectly still while he did his thing. They put my hand in the brace. As I looked down it, I had the feeling I was also looking at my future with both hands in braces.

Twenty minutes later my thumb started to throb. By the time we got home I was in tears from the pain. I realized I would have to up the drugs again. Very disheartening!  Baby had fallen asleep and awoke, wet and hungry, when we got home. Bob went to change him while I heated his bottle and got ice packs out. Now I need ice for both hands.

Bob and Rowan both fell alseep in the recliner. I took ice packs to bed. I tried everything I knew to stay calm while I writhed in pain. This was worse than any injection I ever had. I finally decided it was from all the nerve endings in my hand. I got up after about 1-1/2 hours to refresh the ice packs.
It was going to be a very long summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.