Monday, July 23, 2012

Broken Arm In the Driveway

So there I was in the driveway in agony. The dog was terrified. I slowly managed to roll over and my left arm was screaming. I glanced at it and saw instantly that it was NOT RIGHT. Knowing there was no one around to see the fall, somehow I got to my feet. My left knee was also bleeding. I got the bagels and hobbled into the house.

I went straight to the kitchen. I had the presence of mind to yank my rings off and my watch. The crystal on the watch I was wearing on my left arm was broken from the impact of the fall. I took 2 pain pills.  And there was that bookmark on the counter: "The Only Constant in Life is Change."  We keep a flexible ice pack in the kitchen freezer. I managed to wrap it in a thin towel and cover my arm, supporting it on my belly. By the time I got to the bathroom, blood had run down my leg to my ankle. I poured peroxide on it and cleaned up the blood somewhat. Smacked on a Band-aid hoping that would stop the blood flow.

Hoping to get a ride to the hospital, I tried to call a neighbor whose car was in the driveway. Then I remembered I had been told she NEVER answers her phone. I went to the front porch to see if one of the teenagers was home. No luck.

I knew Bob was having a terrible day at work, but I saw no alternative but to call him at work to come get me and drop me off at the ER where he works.   I stopped crying enough call Bob. I said "You have to come get me."  Sounding exasperated, he said, "Why?"  I replied, "I broke my arm." All I heard was a sharp intake of breath and "I'll be right there."


1 comment:

  1. at least you remembered not to leave the bagels on the driveway...

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.