Friday, March 9, 2012

A Strong Tower

Do you remember as a kid being told, "Don't slam that door!" I remember that refrain ringing through our house and then as my own children were growing up and running in and out of the house I said it often, especially during the summer months. Did you know there is a place where you are allowed to run in and slam the door as hard as you need? 

This was the Scripture for a daily verse sent from KLOVE recently. It reminds me of a way of prayer that I learned a long time ago. When I remember to use it I can feel so safe almost immediately.

The name of the Lord is a strong fortress; the godly run to Him and are safe.~ Proverbs 18:10, NLT

The New Revised says the same verse as   "The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe."

I have an easier time picturing a strong tower in my mind than a fortress. And in my prayer life that tower has a huge door that is open for me. When I run into the tower I can SLAM! that door behind me and be in the Presence of the Lord.

Last year we were blessed to get to visit Ireland for my 60th birthday. Imagine my surprise our first night at Glendalough when I saw  this in the monastic ruins!
This one of the tallest and best preserved round towers in Ireland. It was erected so that pilgrims from miles around could find their way to the monastic center. It dates from the 10th century. It was also used as a place to store monastic valuables and people from enemies.
"The Round Tower in Glendalough, probably the most famous of all the landmarks in County Wicklow, was built almost 1,000 years ago by the monks of St. Kevin’s monastery. The tower is 110 ft. in height.
See http://www.glendalough.connect.ie/pages/articles/glenhistory/glendaloughhistory.html for more details.

So what does this have to do with you? When you feel threatened, oppressed, or generally hounded you have a strong tower in Jesus. You can run into His tower, His Name, slam the door behind, you go up to His throne, and be safe in His arms. You will never know for certain unless you try it for yourself. I promise He will not disappoint you as Defender and Keeper. He wants this kind of intimacy with us. Try it for yourself, and learn to rest in His protection.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.