Saturday, March 10, 2012

Darkness deserves gratitude



Darkness deserves gratitude. It is the alleluia point at which we learn to understand that all growth does not take place in the sunlight.
Joan Chittister
Uncommon Gratitude



Now that quote made me pause and consider! At first reading I thought, "What?! Give darkness thanks, gratitude or any other worthy consideration?" But then I realized if it was not for the darkness, the daffodils would not be blooming. In fact, looking closely with my friend Jodie, today I discovered spring beauties, grape hyacinth and even trout lilies in bloom already! They have all been in the darkness underground for months and are just now showing their beauty in the light of late winter.

Some of the darkest times in my life I have been told or given or led to read 
 2 Corinthians 12:7b-9 (NRSV)
7bTherefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated.
8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9 but He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
 In the midst of physical suffering it can seem that the Lord has deserted or abandoned us, but He tells us through Paul that He is close even in these times. I have experienced His power at times when I thought I could not go on.

So if you are in darkness today and do not know where to turn, please ask Him to accompany you. You will surely find, as I did, that He is the companion who sticks closer than a brother!  

There is none other like our Lord!





1 comment:

  1. Couldn't help from think of the old children's chorus:

    This little light of mine..I'm going to let it shine

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.