Saturday, June 1, 2013

Alexander Maclaren

Maclaren was born in Glasgow on February 11, 1826, and died in Manchester on May 5, 1910. He had been for almost sixty-five years a minister, entirely devoted to his calling. He lived more than almost any of the great preachers of his time between his study, his pulpit, his pen.

He subdued action to thought, thought to utterance and utterance to the Gospel. His life was his ministry; his ministry was his life. In 1842 he was enrolled as a candidate for the Baptist ministry at Stepney College, London. He was tall, shy, silent and looked no older than his sixteen years. But his vocation, as he himself (a consistent Calvinist) might have said, was divinely decreed. "I cannot ever recall any hesitation as to being a minister," he said. "It just had to be."

 
I have read many quotes by Maclaren especially in the devotional Joy & Strength. His words almost always have a blessing for me. While pondering the idea of the suffering that sometimes occurs only between my ears, I cam across this one:
 
"The one misery of man is self-will, the one secret of blessedness is the conquest over our own wills. To yield them up to God is rest and peace. What disturbs us in this world is not "trouble," but our opposition to trouble. The true source of all that frets and irritates, and wears away our lives, is not in external things, but in the resistance of our wills to the will of God expressed by external things."
 
Oh Lord, that You would help us to yield our will and bend our lives in accord with Your Will. We will, with God's help.
 

2 comments:

  1. Being a Scot myself (on my mother's side) I love him and George MacDonald. Good Scottish wisdom.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an insight..a little hard to chew because it implies submission!

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.