Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Let Devotional Enter His Rest

  May 15 was the last time I posted from my "Let" devotional. At the ISP retreat I casually mentioned to some of the women that we are called to do more than the AA slogan "Let go and let God." There are verses such as "Let the peace of Christ rule in your heart." One of the ladies asked, "How do you do that?" I told her the Holy Spirit will teach us how.

  When I got home I checked to see if I had 3 copies of the "Let" devotional on hand to give to the ladies. There were only 2 copies and it is not stored on my computer drive. So it was time to take it to the printer and have a few more copies made. This was the fourth printing, the first one being in 2000. So I thought I'd share the next offering from the booklet with you! I'm having trouble getting the illustration to copy, so no drawing with this one.
"There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience." HEB 4:9-11
  Do I make every effort to enter God's rest? No! More often I make every effort to accomplish as many deeds and duties in my own strength as I can in a day, only looking to the Lord when things go wrong or I run out of energy. What an upside down and backwards way to approach my life with God.
  The Word urges me to make every effort to enter God's rest, not just for my own benefit, but because others are watching. My failure to enter that rest may cause some to fall by following my example of disobedience.
  The Sabbath-rest is there for the people of God. Will we choose to enter that rest and turn from our own work? God set the example and the pattern for us. Will we let Him take the lead in our lives?
  The times I have invited God into every area of my life, and stopped doing my own will first, He has taught me to rejoice in Him and to rest in Him. Then He has shown me how to go about my duties in ways that were well beyond any efficiency I already knew.
  His rest includes time to break out of the pattern of life that has no time to watch a sunset, look at trees, find a bird whose song is interesting. God's pattern is work and rest, sabbath restoration that happens everyday, not only once in seven days.
  His rest involves praise, prayers, focus on eternal things and things above. As we seek His kingdom and His righteousness with all our heart, mind, and strength, He truly adds in abundance anything else we might need for the journey.

Father, today I pledge to make every effort to enter into Your rest. I want to rest from the assignments I have given myself and do Your will. Show me how to enter Your rest. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.