Saturday, October 13, 2012

John 14:1

John 14:1 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in Me."
Trust, oh the "T" word! Trust can be hard to come by if you have had your trust violated repeatedly during your earthly life. If the trust was violated by your mother, or father, or siblings then it can be really difficult to trust God. He is willing to help us in our weaknesses. But we have to let Him.
At the same time, trust in God can sometimes be much easier than trust in people. I believe that is where the gift of faith is most often granted. I have known women who were violated in many areas of trust as very young children. In their adult years they came to trust God even though trust had virtually been eliminated from their vocabulary. Life dealt them many blows both physically, emotionally, and mentally. Trust in God became their avenue of life and that more abundantly. Even in the midst of their growing trust in God they are responsbile not to let their hearts be troubled.
If we are constantly looking back over our shoulders at all the awful things that have happened to us in life, we will have less strength for the current journey. Before Christ tells us to trust in God and in Himself, He instructs us to take command over our own heart. "Let not your heart be troubled." When a child comes to an adult and is troubled, the loving adult generally listens to the child, comforts the child and tries to point the child to the bigger perspective, or the immediate presence of our God and Father for comfort. We must be willing to do the same with ourselves. Jesus said I must not let me heart be troubled. When troubling thoughts come my way, I listen for a bit, I instruct myself to take comfort in His arms, and I try to look beyond theimmediate moment to the 'bigger picture.'
In my original booklet I had a picture of a lacy heart here. Inside is written: "My heart is my territory of responsibility. Regardless of my past or present circumstances, Jesus commanded me not to let my heart be troubled."
 
Lord, help me to keep my heart from being troubled. And when my heart is troubled, let me run to You for reassuance and a fresh reminder that I can trust You for every area of my being. Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.