Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How Did I Occupy My Waiting?

Sometimes in a pain flare, things begin with acknowledging the pain is increased and then waiting to see if it will abate given time. I usually do a few standard things; make sure I'm getting enough sleep, balanced diet, in touch with emotions, honest with myself and others, pray more, take hot shower before bed and be as gentle with myself as possible. When this last "Flare" evolved into a blazing, unquenchable fire, akin to New Mexico's recent blaze, I then had to wait to seek medical help as the Memorial Day weekend and doc's vacation were right then. Now that I am on a new medication I have been doing another typical thing. It is good to keep a list of strategies to use when a pain flare occurs. One way to create that strategy is objective review of the event.

There were a couple of new things I did this time. Rowan, our 17 month old Grandson was with me a few of those days. He needs to be entertained to the extent that he is kept from boredom. When he is bored he can be quite naughty! He saw me use the sewing machine once, and ever since has wanted to plant himself on my lap while I use it. One day he was jabbering, communicating that he wanted me to sew!

Follow me here .... I was recently blessed to purchase the CD by Passion 2012 entitled "White Flag." The song White Flag acknowledges that we need to surrender to the will and working of God. April 26 I wrote on the blog about the song and my instant vision... I have been thinking about making a string of white flags. I knew what fabric I wanted to use. For many years I have had a piece of very sheer white chiffon (think wedding dress ruffles, light airy). I used it once to illustrate to a friend how the Holy Spirit ushers us into life. I took the white chiffon and mushed it with wet mud to stain it. When we are born we are covered with a sheer membrane called "amnion" and a creamy substance called "vernix." (For more details see  http://birthbliss.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/benefits-of-vernix-its-amazing-stuff/     I needed more fabric than the chiffon to make a string of flags, so I pulled some other white from the fabric box.

So while Elmo and Sesame Street entertained Rowan one morning I began cutting a few rectangles of white fabric for flags. I still had no idea where to hang them.

When Sesame Street was over Rowan was excited that I wanted to sew. He parked his bottom in my lap and we began. I had decided to use rough twine to attached the flags together. The edges are not hemmed, just simple squares sewn securely onto the twine. We finished in no time. He was happy to scamper off to empty the toy kitchen and I began to plan where to hang the 'first draft."

First I thought I'd put the flags on our front porch; however, after watching the wind whip around our American Flag I knew they would only tangle up into the gutter and just not be 'right' there. Well, the first draft became the finished project. They hang from the rafters in my sewing/ laundry room and the setting is perfect. I see them almost every single day.

 These flags are a constant reminder to yield myself to the working of the Spirit of God, especially directing me to 2 Cor 4:16 So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day.
This music from that cd has helped carry me through the worst of the struggle. Yielding to the Lord, relaxing into the pain instead of tensing up, and waiting on Him has been my strength.

May you have your own white flag moment of surrender and yielding. I pray it is without physical turmoil.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.