Monday, January 17, 2011

Amaryliis and Anticipation

This year I asked for an Amaryllis bulb as mine had no produced a flower after a couple of years. I had meant to take photos as it grew, but failed to do until this morning. The flower is bud is about 3 inches long today and I knew it was time to start the photo progression as it goes fairly fast from here!
The bulb comes in a plastic bag, with no signs of life. It gets planted in special "soil." And then you water it and wait. Jeff and Jen bought me a lovely one! As you can see, the planter is shiny silver.
While Bob has been away I have been thinking and praying about one topic for the 4 Gardening Retreats at the Convent this spring/summer/fall. The topic for April is Surrender to God/ Yielding. The most used topic for this in the natural order is autumn and the changing, then falling of the leaves as the trees go dormant. The Lord has been speaking to me about the tremendous surrender and yielding required from the trees and plants by the change from winter to spring. And then, WHAM! He drew me to His heart and spoke to me about what I have not surrendered lately. Beth Moore was featured on one webcast speaking about paralysis and what has you stuck in your life. I knew I was having difficulty getting the material for the retreat pulled together because there was something I had not yielded to His will and His ways. I began to yield my heart to Him and the material was flowing great this morning!
Never before have I enjoyed winter as much as this year. The anticipation of getting snow bound and NOT going anywhere has been a huge draw for me. Yet, simultaneously, we are awaiting the birth of our first Grandson and I am sleeping with 2 phones ringers turned on at the bedside table. Talk about dashing out!
As the amaryllis grows out of the bulb, drawn by the warm sunshine, I know that my heart must thaw in the areas where I have been stuck and yield to what is next for me in the Lord's plan.
May all of your January days be a yielding and growing and full of anticipation as His Spirit leads and grows you into the flower He had in mind when you were born.
And yeah, I'm sure the blog will soon sport photos of the first Dutina Great-Grandson!!

2 comments:

  1. That is a healthy looking plant and a nice container. Looking forward to seeing its progress.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.