Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advent 3




We had a grand time at the baby party for Rowan, Jeff and Jenny. Here are a few snapshots. Certainly none for a nice portrait! He is due January 15th! So far, everything is fine with both mother and child. Daddy (Jeff) is learning and getting excited as the weeks count down!


Today we wrapped gifts for our family celebration next Sunday. Our tree is in the basement family room as it is the only place large enough to accommodate all 10 of us when there are gifts and tree and four girls involved.

While on retreat last summer, I came across a book called "Feathers on the Wind" by Fr. Edward Hays. I could not find what the Lord was trying to show me. I did like this quote from Hildegard of Bingen: "There was once a king sitting on his throne ... It pleased the king to raise a small feather from the ground and he commanded it to fly. The feather flew, not because of anything in itself but because the air bore it along. Thus I am a ... feather on the breath of God." I did not copy the quote.

While we were visiting the Smoky Mountains I tried to recall the quote when I saw a tiny feather sitting on some pine needles and I sensed the Lord telling me to let go, relax. (I kept the feather and have it yet today.)I had to go back to the Transfiguration Spirituality Center and find the book to retrieve the quote! Once back in Cincinnati, this time I borrowed the book from Transfiguration and Bob decided he wanted to read it.
Recently, after reading what I had posted on this blog, he read this portion to me entitled "Polish Boomerangs."
"The Poles invented the boomerang - no joke, I'm serious! Before the invention of the bow and arrow, somewhere around 22,000 B.C., the people of what is now Poland made boomerangs from the tusks of the great mammoths that roamed the land. The purpose of this bit of trivia is not to present the Polish people as ingenious and creative - which they are - rather, it is to awaken us.
"What once took hundreds or even thousands of years to migrate across the world now takes only a few years or even days. To be alive today REQUIRES A VIRTUE THAT ALL FIND DIFFICULT: THE CAPACITY TO CHANGE. We no longer have the luxury of a slow evolutionary embracing of new inventions or ideas.Those who resist change in their daily lives will experience a good deal of suffering and stress as the speed of progress and development continues to accelerate. If we wish to taste peace and happiness, we will have to learn the virtue of elasticity. A brief 2,000 years ago Jesus proposed that virtue with His image of new wineskins. Be rigid, like old leather wineskins, and you will be burst open by the new wine of change."
Several years ago when we began taking regular walks out of doors we began keeping feathers we found and placing them in a straw wreath. This is a photo of our second wreath!


The year 2010 has taught Bob and I repeatedly that we must stay flexible, and like Macrina said, "we must pray not to CONGEAL." In memory of Elizabeth Edwards I thank her for the quote she taught me in her book "Resilient." "AND WHEN THE WIND DOES NOT BLOW MY WAY, I WILL ADJUST MY SAILS."
Happy Advent 3 - stay flexible, adjust your sails and go forth in joy! Let God blow upon you and like that tiny feather be borne along by His power.

2 comments:

  1. I had forgotten when the feather wreath started. We have trained our minds and eyes to notice something special while in the midst of the ordinary. Its kind of like looking for a particular kind of shell on the beach in the midst of thousands of others. I think part of staying flexible is staying focused in the midst of the every day..well done Gumby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, a lot of sail adjustment going on these days.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.