Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Adonai Advent 2

Last evening I went to the Sisters of Charity Convent on the FAR western side of town to hear one of my favorite authors, Macrina Wiederkehr, OSB. What a great little time-out for this Grammy! Even got to spend the night. I left the sewing and the wrapping and the lists to hear her lead us in a "condensed" retreat/meditation covering the "O! antiphons"...which are names for God taken from Isaiah's prophecies. O Wisdom, O Lord, O Root of Jesse, O Key of David, O Dawning Light, O Servant King of the Nations, O Emmanuel. She told us to pick our favorite from among the list and immediately my soul soared with the name Adonai, bringing to mind the song by Avalon.

"One single drop of rain
Your salty tear became blue ocean
One tiny grain of sand turning in your hand
A world in motion
You're out beyond the furthest Morning Star
Close enough to hold me in Your arms

Chorus:
"Adonai, I lift up my heart and I cry
My Adonai
You are the Maker of each moment
Father of my hope and freedom
Oh, my Adonai

"One timid faithful knock
Resounds upon the Rock of Ages
One trembling heart and soul
Becomes a servant bold and courageous
You call across the mountains and the seas
I answer from the deepest part of me

"Adonai, I lift up my heart and I cry
My Adonai
You are the Maker of each moment
Father of my hope and freedom
Oh, my Adonai

"From age to age you reign in Majesty
And today You're making miracles in me

"Adonai, I lift up my heart and I cry
My Adonai
You are the Maker of each moment
Father of my hope and freedom
My Adonai"



Woven in with her teaching Macrina introduced us to several chants and at one point had us walk around the sanctuary singing and worshiping. She warned us that we are not to fear sickness and death, for those come to everyone. We are to fear becoming rigid. She said, "You know, the people who you know will never do anything unexpected." My favorite chant of hers goes
"O, ever-changing God, protect us from congealing (She said, "like Jell-o!")
Ever flowing, ever flowing,
Ever flowing, ever flowing.
Til we flow into a Sacred Stream,
Til we flow into that Eternal Drink
Which is You."
So use this moment to draw near to our Ever-flowing God. Praise Him with your favorite name or attribute. Rest as we await His coming. Macrina reminded us "We await the One we already possess."

2 comments:

  1. Neat. I like the part about not fearing sickness or death - work on not becoming rigid. I'm working on that.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever flowing..ever flowing..We'd better get in the boat or we'll never stay with Him..glad you enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.