Sunday, August 26, 2012

Our Crosswalk Group

Our church is called The Crossing. Our small groups are referred to as Crosswalk Groups. Thinking about this reminded me of a song I used to teach to small children about crossing streets.
 
"When I come to a corner, I stop, look, and listen
Stop, look, and listen to what I hear
Then I walk across the street
And pick up my feet so nothing can trip me over!"
 
Now, in my sixties I am leading a group that will try to hone in on others older than 50!
Just this morning a few of us were gathered in the foyer and someone said, "We look like the walking wounded!" Bill had his arm in a sling after recent shoulder surgery, I am still wearing the brace from the broken arm, and Dennis is awaiting back surgery this Tuesday. I said, "No matter what is going on we have to remember 'though the outer man is wasting away, the inner man is renewed day by day.'"
 
2 Corinthians 4: 16-18 reads in full "Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
 
So in our crosswalk group, I hope to keep us focused on watching out for each other and helping each other through the crossings of older age. We are like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. We need each other to help us to keep looking up to the things that are not seen, those eternal things that bid us be faithful to the end.
If you are reading this I ask that you pray for Tom and Peg, Bob and I, Mike and Kay, Dan, Dennis and Judy, Nan and Kevin, Fred and Louise, Kathy and Lee, Harold and Myrna, and Billie as we begin our adventure September 19th with the kick off book "Not A Fan."
 
 
 

1 comment:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.