Monday, November 22, 2010

Giving Thanks in 2010


"Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving."—Colossians 4:2
The verse for today sums it all up!
When I took the pies out of the oven on Saturday we knew for certain that Thanksgiving Day is galloping towards us! The aroma from the spices was heady stuff. Traditionally, I make the pies early and store them on the icy cold garage floor, sealed in Tupperware, waiting for the day. As the weather this year would have it, the garage floor is cold, but yesterday we hit the high 60's and today the forecast is 70! So now I am using ice blocks to keep those pies cold until the temperature drops to a consistently cool level.


The drought here is scary and the "Indian Summer" just seems like a continuation of the long dry summer, with only a few cold days sprinkled in for hope. Imagine my surprise today on the way home from the gym when I saw a county truck sporting a new snow plow and a load of salt! "They" say ...you know, those crazy weather forecasters? ... "they" say that the day after Thanksgiving we are to have rain mixed with snow. That is really hard to comprehend today. But "they" are also calling for heavy rains on Thanksgiving day and personally, I give thanks for that. We already lost one holly bush to the drought and Lord knows how many trees in the woods behind us.

Here are some photos from a recent walk in the woods. We took a trail at Eastfork State Park that we had never taken before. It led to this creek which was almost totally dry.
The little pond looked like it might be able to refresh a few animals. If I had been thinking more quickly I would have whipped out the new tiny video camera that Bob bought me for my birthday and I could have recorded the four huge horses and their riders that came past us. Frankly, we were just interested at the moment in getting out of the way, not spooking the horses and keeping the dog calm while they passed us. Bob commented later, "How many times do you get to just walk in the creek bed and stay dry?"


I said earlier I might never get caught up. Well, I got caught up until the Christmas sewing list was made. I did not blog though.
Maybe I'll be more consistent in 2011? I want to be like Dan.

I better get back to arranging how to seat eleven people on Thursday! Be blessed and give thanks for the wonderful life you live.
xoxo, Molly D.

1 comment:

  1. You're warmer than we are. It was pretty chilly here today and it's getting really cold tonight. The pies look delicious. Have a great Thanksgiving.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.