Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving thanks for warmth and seasons!

Today as I went out to walk the dog we both bundled up in coats and I wore a scarf and heavy gloves. We walked straight into an 8 mph wind and the temperature was somewhere in the 30's. What a change! Again I knew for certain that late autumn is here when I saw an empty, brand new, county truck sporting a shiny snow plow in front, practicing it's salt run in our neighborhood. We will be oh so grateful that he practiced when we need his services!
I almost canceled my walk as my face was frozen by the time we reached the stop sign. Turning the corner, however, the wind was no longer a direct sinus hit so we continued.
I am delighted that I no longer need to ice the pies. Okay, I confess, I tried a sliver today. Usually, the pies would be forgotten until Thursday, but all this icing and checking to be certain they're chilled, and smelling that heady spice aroma... I had to try a sliver. Yummy! if I do say so. Wish Betty was here to share a pie.
The turkey is finished, sliced and the pans almost finished up. The dishes from all the cooking make me miss the kids even more! Bob is a huge help, but he does work at the lab much of his time. So turkey done, dressing done, sweet potatoes baked and mashed, turkey broth has been simmered and strained for gravy and hearty soups. Today I make yeast roll dough and Waldorf salad. Clean the house, choose the serving spoons and forks, clear off the counters for a buffet feast, and try not to get too tired to enjoy the celebration!
The wind chill inspired me to feed the birds both seed and suet cakes. How ever do they survive this weather? I am again grateful for the changing seasons and the slowing down that the earth models for us. Now if I can just slow down the pace of my DOings and focus more on the joy I glean as a human BEing.
Lord bless us and help us draw nearer to You!
Won't be long before Ellie and I are making snow angels again!

1 comment:

Someone is spamming my gmail account. Do not open something that says I sent you a Google document.